Yong Jung's Blog

Winter Break

Winter break is probably the best time of the year. You can eat, sleep, watch television, hang out with friends, READ FOR PLEASURE, bake, or just sit in your pajamas all day without feeling guilty for your lack of productivity.

However, after a week or two, I get a bit antsy; I start dreaming (literally, in my sleep!) about the first day back, Plenary, my first SGA meeting…. my thesis. I interpret this as my body gearing back up for the next (and last!) semester.

And what better way to start off the semester than a Certificate Course (totally serious=))!  I arrived to campus a week before the semester was scheduled to begin, along with about 40 other students. I knew this weeklong Certificate in Management Course was going to be incredible (I took the Certificate in Finance Course over Spring break in 2011 and had a great experience), but I definitely did not expect this experience to be so powerful as to cause students to  tear up during the graduation ceremony.

If you take a look at the syllabus, it is very clear you will learn a lot. The amount of team-management theory, methods to successfully analyze a case study and interview skills/tips I learned in one week is incredible. For example, each student was a member of a team and we had the responsibility to analyze a for-profit or not-for-profit case. By the fourth day, each member of my team was able to connect different parts of the information provided by the case, link it to theories, communicate why the links and theories were relevant to the case and develop a strategy for how to effectively communicate our recommendation to our ‘client.’—Awesome, right?

However, for many students, this course ended up being so much more than learning the content. In fact, especially for the fresh(wo)men, it was very clear that students were building their confidence. The pace at which one spoke, the vocabulary used to explain a concept and the projection of one’s voice clearly indicated not only that students felt more comfortable with one another and the material, but also with oneself.

I believe this quick-paced growth/learning was possible because of two reasons. Firstly, the course was created for the purposes of learning content, practicing communication and networking skills and interacting with (/being inspired) by the 40+ alumnae and friends that stopped by [we must stop here for a second. This is truly incredible. 40+ alumnae and friends came back to Bryn Mawr to share stories and offer support for students!- Anassa Kata]. The course was built with multiple goals.

Secondly, the course was lead and facilitated by two enthusiastic, positive, engaging, supportive…. absolutely incredible individuals. John, Chief Financial Officer of Bryn Mawr and Meredith, Professor at Wharton, brought so much energy into the classroom. They really made the week worthwhile. I do not think anyone in the class mourns the loss of a week during their winter break!