Yong Jung's Blog

Women in Public Service -Meeting Madam Secretary.

Farah Pandith, special representative to Muslim communities welcomed a body of about 60 students from the 5 Seven Sister women’s colleges to the Women in Public Service Colloquium* Wednesday night. She shared with us about how her experience at a women’s college shaped who she is, but could never have predicted that her studies and experiences would lead her to work at the State Departments advising Secretary Clinton on projects, initiatives and events that influence and serve Muslim communities. Her career path was circuitous and unpredictable (something I have heard many times from almost anyone I have ever spoken with about her or  his career). Farah Pandith had contagious energy, poise, confidence and undeniable intelligence.

At the Colloquium, I was surrounded by leaders just like her all day. The experience was quite surreal. We (students from the Sister schools) even had the opportunity to take a photo with Secretary Clinton! I stood about 4 feet away and all I could think about was how awesome this was; she gave us a little pep talk, but unfortunately I don’t remember what she said! (star stuck? maybe a little). Thankfully, I was able to regain my cool and put coherent sentences together when I spoke with some other incredible people. Something that never fails to surprise me is how willing and excited Bryn Mawr alumnae are to speak with current students! (Future Mawrters and Current Mawrters, we have such a rich network of contacts! A quick plug: take advantage of the career development office; there is a database of bi-co alumni by career field)

Additionally, I was very thankful for a sense of solidarity amongst the colloquium attendees. Although, alumnae and students were proud of their school, I felt a strong commitment to the shared mission of increasing representation of women in leadership positions. I connected with alumnae from almost each of the 5 schools.  I believe this project has incredible potential to provide support, resources and guidance for women interested in the public sector; this global network is truly exciting.

Okay, so some takeaways from the experience:

1. There is no such thing as a dream job. You will find things about your job that you will love, but you also have a life. Do great things (career-related and personal!)
  2. Finding a mentor (or several) is important. And one should seek for one because people are generally happy to speak with you especially alumnae! Opportunities come through people you know.
  3. Mentor others.
  4. You cannot attain something if you do not dream of it first.
  5. A great piece of advice for looking forward: If you were suddenly given millions of dollars what would you do with it? Now, would you do the same thing if you did not have the money? If yes, then that is what you should do!

* Really exciting, the photograph on the “Action” slide is of Bryn Mawr’s SGA! AWESOME. Anassa Kata!

photo cred: Sara Alcid’12, Smith College, Bryn Mawr College, Mount Holyoke College